Friday 30 August 2013

The fantastic mat puzzle

Although it is a real pain when I am cleaning the house, I want to say huge thank you to our fantastic neighbours for getting us this amazing soft alphabet and number puzzle mat jigsaw. It all started as a gift to absorb the unbearable thumping sound that resulted downstairs as a result of T's constant jumping, now however coupled with some other learning tools we have (flashcards, letter factory phonics, etc) it is the best educational gift we could have ever asked for. Other than its shock absorbing qualities, it gives a realistic edge to show me-tell me learning and it makes interactive educational play just that much more fun; think in the region of hopscotching to identify alphabets. In a nutshell, this item does such an amazing job I would definitely recommend it to anyone when cognitive and perceptive educational play is required. Thanks to it T who is only 2 recognizes more that 3/4 of the alphabets.
It doesn't end there, yesterday I realized I could use it for something else. While vacuuming the whole thing came apart and ended up in a heap on the floor. Just as I set about putting it together, T raced up to me and said,' I'll do it'. That was the opportunity I needed to reinforced the importance of participating in cleaning and tidying up. I laid out the outline and told him to finish it up while I moved on to other tasks. Learning while he cleans. I love the sound of that.


No comments:

Post a Comment