Sunday 13 January 2013

A loaded question


On Friday I went out to lunch with a friend and she asked me one of those typically simple but loaded questions I am still debating if I gave the right answer or not.
Oh you have changed so much now, she gushed as she watched me fussing over T.
Thanks, I responded basking in all the admiration.
‘So would you say he has brought you and your partner even closer together’, she asked as she took another sip from her cup filled with green tea.
-Pause-
How do I answer this without falling victim to one of those infamous George Bush-type gaffes? I wondered. Do I lie and say no, my partner and I now live in Pleasantville and we don’t bicker at all; everything is all rosy? Or should I admit how we are at each other’s throat about the other’s approach and how T has started playing us one for the other good cop, bad cop style?
Oh I dunno! We bicker like every other couple but the reasons why we bicker these days are different, I answered. We don’t bicker more and we don’t bicker less; just the dimension of our bickering has changed. Now instead of me and you, it is me, you and him! Sort of like being in an intense love triangle with willing participants. If you have ever been in one of those, you will understand.
She looked at me as if she was slightly confused.
You have never been in an intense love triangle then? I asked.
She nodded and moved on to something else.


1 comment:

  1. I would agree. Children magnify the relationship that already exists. That's why when couples have a baby to 'save' their relationship it doesn't work. If you don't have a good channel for dealing with stress, such as bickering (or in our case humor), its going to highlight that!

    ReplyDelete